today i'm thrilled to share my latest mini quilt, merry go round.
here's the materials you need to make this mini quilt:
- cricut maker
- cricut maker rotary blade
- cricut fabric pen
- cricut fabric mat
- green solid color cut down to (3) 12'' x 12'' squares
- blue solid color cut down to (3) 12'' x 12'' square
- white solid color cut down to (4) 12'' x 24'' rectangle
- pink solid color cut down to (1) 12 x 24'' rectangle
- 1/4'' yard for the binding
- 1/2'' yard for the backing (cutting it down to a 26'' x 26'' square)
- batting (1) 26'' x 26'' square
- misc. sewing supplies, including thread, iron, and small scissors
here are the cutting instructions:
- start a new project in cricut design space
- using the square under shapes, create the following measurements:
- 4 1/2’’ x 4 1/2'' (x4 green)
- 4 1/2'' x 4 1/2'' (x5 white)
- 4 1/2'' x 2 1/2'' (x4 green)
- 4 1/2'' x 2 1/2'' (x4 white)
- make sure you unlock and lock your measurements so the sizes won't change as you create the additional squares and rectangles
- change the color of each square/rectangle as you create, making it easy for you to keep up with the measurements and mats to make each block
- using the score line under shapes, draw a line, corner to corner on each green 4 1/2'' square
- change the score line to a draw line on each green 4 1/2'' square
- you're all set, click on "make it"
- you'll see your squares and rectangles broken out by color (mat)
- change the number of project copies to 2
- adjust the mat size to 12'' x 24''
- you should have (2) 12'' x 24'' white mats and (3) 12'' x 12'' green mats
- place your pre-cut fabric on the fabric mat in order or mat
- select cotton fabric, insert your cricut rotary cutter, fabric pen, and GO!
- repeat the steps above for the blue solid color
- for the sashing, cut the following:
- 2 1/2'' x 2 1/2'' (x1 blue)
- 2 1/2'' x 12'' (x4 pink)
- after you've finished cutting, organize your squares and rectangles by color
here are the sewing instructions (use a 1/4'' seam allowance unless other wise noted):
- place (1) green 4 1/2'' square on top of (1) white 4 1/2'' square fabric pen line facing up
- sew along the fabric pen line and trim 1/4'' away from the fabric pen line
- press seam to the darker fabric
- repeat to make (8) HST or half square triangles
- place (1) green 4 1/2'' x 2 1/2'' rectangle on top of (1) white 4 1/2'' x 2 1/2'' rectangle
- sew together, press seam to the darker fabric
- layout the block
- sew each row together, press seam to one side
- now you have (4) 12'' x 12'' churn dash blocks
- press seam to the pink rectangle
- sew the blue square to the remaining (2) pink rectangles
- sew the center sashing to the bottom row of blocks, press seam to the pink strip
- repeat for the top row of blocks, pressing seam to the pink strip
- layer the quilt top with the quilt batting and backing
- quilt and bind as desired
isn't this a fun mini quilt to make? it's so easy with the cricut maker.
i hope you enjoy this mini quilt as much as i enjoyed making it.
cut, sew, repeat...
the tattooed quilter
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Cricut. The opinions and text are all mine.